The MagVenture TMS Therapy Procedure:
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a breakthrough in the treatment of Major Depression that uses magnetic energy pulses comparable in strength to those produced by an MRI machine to stimulate parts of the brain known to affect mood. TMS therapy is a non-pharmaceutical therapeutic option for depression. The MagVentre TMS Therapy System, is a FDA-approved device for TMS therapy, and it is an outpatient procedure conducted at TMS Chicago.
TMS Therapy’s Benefits
TMS provides a number of advantages:
- It works: most patients who finish a course of TMS therapy see a reduction in their symptoms.
- It doesn’t require any medicines, sedation, or surgery.
- There is no downtime: following treatment, you may drive yourself back to your home or office and resume your daily activities.
- Most major insurance programs cover it.
- It comes with less negative side effects than antidepressants.
To find out if you’re a candidate for TMS therapy, call our Mt. Airy office at 301-829-2242.
Our screening process includes:
- A 10-minute educational call: We will ask you questions about your depression history, present symptoms, and previous treatments. We’ll also ask you some questions to help us figure out if TMS is safe for you. (For example, if you have screws or other metal surgical devices in your head or neck, you may not be eligible.)
- A private psychiatric consultation in which you will meet with one of our psychiatrists to review your treatment history and goals. We’ll work together to see if TMS is suitable for you and if you’re able to commit to a complete course of treatment.
- Insurance approval: Our staff will work with your insurance company to ensure that your treatments are authorized and funded.
- Once you’re approved for treatment by Uptown Psych and your insurance provider, we’ll begin scheduling your series of appointments.